House Football

Just a little thought today, as I get ready for my school house's Christmas dinner.


For those who don't know, here in the UK we have a grand tradition of School Houses. These are pastoral organisations within the school that deal with the softer side of education; looking after emotional well-being and what you'd probably call school spirit.


Each student will be placed in a House, usually in the same as their siblings if they have any. This will be a tutor group thing, with Houses having their own assemblies, sports teams and maybe even social events. In a boarding school, Houses are literal houses where students live. The housemaster is essentially the daddy/mummy to the student during term, and is the responsible adult for them.


If any of you are thinking, "This sounds like Harry Potter..." then yes. You are correct. But are you surprised? J.K. Rowling didn't invent the system herself you know.


For the record, we have four houses in my school too. I like to think of my house as Ravenclaw.


Houses will tend to compete with each other, and winning the House rugby match is often more important than beating another school.


So, with that in mind, I'm going to remind you of this picture I posted a week or two ago:


Hufflepuff Humans getting pounded flat by Slytherin Orks


Can you see where I'm going with this?


Too often the non-sporty kids get side-lined and marginalised. For the Ravenclaw type house with a bunch of smart alecs and light on the Harry Potter meat heads, this can be downright terrible in terms of their prospects for winning the House Cup at the end of the year.


I'm always looking for new school territory to conquer and bend to the will of table top dice. Think I have a new area to expand into.


Always remember:


Don't build walls. Break them.




Thanks for reading.

If you liked what you saw, and you want to help out, please visit and donate at my Patreon. Every Little helps!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Primaris Space Marine Paint Planner

Painting Guide: Blood Angels, perfecting the colour scheme

The Complete Blood Angels Beginner Guide: Troops