More Teacher than Table Top



A few times a week I'm reminded of just how much a hobby this is, as opposed to a lifetime pursuit. Today is a particularly stinging example of where gaming is on my priority list.

It's Sunday. This, for most, is a day of rest and relaxation after a strenuous day at the coal face of whatever 9-5 job you have. I was supposed to be at a special birthday game, a one-off Dungeons and Dragons session for a friend of mine. I had a character rolled up weeks ago (a Seraphon inspired War Cleric), and was really looking forward to my first game in nearly months.

I am currently at work.

It's an exeat weekend at my boarding school, which means we kick the students out for the weekend to give the various house staff a break. Think about that for a second. When your job is running a boarding house for students, you literally do not get time off until term is done.

However, we have a couple of students who are coming back from a football tournament early, and thus need someone in the house to make sure they don't burn down the place. House staff are quite rightly (and legally required to) taking time off. Which means someone needs to fill in for a bit.

And unfortunately I'm a slower runner than the other teachers.

So, game is going ahead without me now. It's just a rather sharp reminder that, although I'd like to spend all my time rolling dice and painting miniatures, I'm a teacher first, and a daddy and husband before that.

I'm fairly certain when most people think about it, plastic soldiers are quite low on the priority list.

That's all really. No point to this post other than to point out this little observation. Normal service resumes tomorrow.

Also painting competition results!

Until next time!

Thanks for reading.

If you liked what you saw, and you want to help out, please leave a comment. Sharing this with your friends, and following me on Twitter, Facebook or Google+ would also be hugely appreciated.

If you have anything you want me to look at, let me know in the comments below. I'll probably be able to write an article about that topic within a day!

If you really love what I do here, you can make a one off donation at my PayPal, or become a true hero to table top education and make a regular donation to my Patreon. Every Little helps!

Comments

  1. There will be other games... we didn't kill the new DM although he almost killed me...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Primaris Space Marine Paint Planner

Painting Guide: Blood Angels, perfecting the colour scheme

The Complete Blood Angels Beginner Guide: Troops